Sunday, May 1, 2011

Seafood Diet

Well, today was a stellar day in my quest for fitness.  It was another postcard perfect day at the beach today.  A funny thing happened within minutes of my arrival, though.  I sat down in my chair, gazed out at the turquoise waters,  contemplating how long I could hold off before grabbing my foam noodle  and  make like a jellyfish, floating along in the gentle current, when this strange little voice  in my head (we’ll call her Agnes) started to lay on the guilt trip.   “You have to walk!” said Agnes.  “And you have to walk first, before you have earned the right to float in the water!”   “But it’s hot out and I want to cool off!”  I whined.  “No buts!” was Agnes’s commandment.  When I thought about the current state of my butt,  I just couldn’t come up with an effective argument.  Well, darn.  And there was a wonderful sea breeze.  So I set off with my phone app logging my miles for me.  I felt really nice and I kept pushing myself further along.  Just to that next high rise condo unit, I would tell myself, then just to the next beach house.  Before I knew it I had walked two and half miles.  Which meant two and half more miles of hoofing it to get back to my chair, my water and my tuna fish sandwich that was waiting in my cooler.   Yikes!  As I turned around and started back, I started thinking about fish, possibly because there were plenty of people fishing from the beach today, flipping the occasional fish to their designated great blue heron stalker.  Every fisherman gets one.  I think it might be a state law or something. 

Anyway, when I arrived back at my chair after my five mile walk –yay me! –I drank enough water for a camel preparing for a desert crossing and ate my tuna sandwich.  And, I thought back my trips to Hawaii where I gorged on fish every single day and didn’t gain an ounce, in spite of all of the fruity tropical drinks I imbibed on vacation.  I decided that I need to eat more fish, more seafood!  Why, for heaven’s sake wasn’t I doing this already, anyhow?  I live in Florida, for Pete’s sake!  I can buy fresh fish all year around!  So, after my well deserved soak in the Gulf, I stopped off at Walt’s Fish Market and picked up a fresh caught grouper filet to take home for dinner.   My seafood diet will not be the legendary “see-food diet”, but an actual diet rich in fish, shellfish and the ever-so-healthy omega -3 fatty acids.  I’ll let you know if I start to grow gills…...

3 comments:

  1. Great job Robin, what is the app you are using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myra, I am using two different apps - My Fitness Pal is my food logging/calorie counting app, Smart Exercise is my pedometer app. Renae turned me on to My Fitness Pal and I found the other one searching the Android market. They are both free apps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using mine religiously, too. I'm averaging about 3.5 miles/day, mostly on my trampoline at this point due to convenience. Headed out west next week, though, and plan on walking my feet off. I've also been on near starvation diet - two to three glasses of Silk per day plus four ounces of meat and two veggies. You'd think I'd be down 15 pounds by now, but not...Really aggravating...

    ReplyDelete