Monday, May 16, 2011

A Mini Vacation

Well friends and readers, I know you are wondering what happened to me.  Either that or you’re thinking thank God she took a few days off!!!  I don’t know which category you fall into, but I’m baaaa-aaaack!

On Thursday, I came to the realization that I have been able to work out on my elliptical trainer for 45 minutes straight and manage a semi-graceful dismount, as opposed to collapsing like a wounded jellyfish, so perhaps it was time to add on some time.    I tacked on an extra five minutes and still managed to actually step off the elliptical instead of falling off.   This emboldened me to the extent that I upped my game to 55 minutes on Friday.  It’s a darn good thing, too, because on Saturday, I embarked on a little mini-vacation, replete with the dreaded vacation eating.

My good friend Julie, whom I have known and loved for more years than either of us care to admit, was coming to Florida with her step-daughter and her friend.    She had rented a beach house on Anna Maria Island and I was going to spend the weekend with her and the girls.  I knew that there would be food involved.  And wine.  I mean, come on!  A beach house! This constitutes a vacation in my book! Thankfully, I had met my goal of five workouts in the week, but having had my niece and her boyfriend here all week, I had already fallen off the diet wagon in a most disgraceful way – mainly because I cooked so much while they were here.  Oy vey!!

Still, I am not going to provide a big mea culpa here.  I ate seafood on Saturday – nature’s low fat, high quality protein – I had ceviche, shrimp, lobster and crab.  And I got in a good, brisk beach walk with Julie.  Granted, we were walking with wine glasses in hand, but still at a good, brisk pace that sloshed some of the wine out of the glasses, to my great dismay.  But then again, that means that I ingested fewer calories from that poor, decimated glass of wine, so I guess it was a fair trade off.  I really didn’t feel too guilty about Saturday, overall.  Yesterday, well I am pretty sure I burned some calories, maybe thousands of them, fighting the crashing waves in Gulf and later strolling along St. Armand’s Circle, but I did eat pizza last night.  So today I did my penance with an hour long walk.  And I got back on my diet.  So no whining and no apologies.  I was on vacation!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment