Monday, December 9, 2013

Surviving The Holidays, or The Pitfalls of Chex Mix

Well, I got through not one, but TWO Thanksgiving feasts, back to back. Did I pig out? No. In fact, on both days I only ate one plate of food and patted myself on the back for that. That one plate of food was also my only meal of the day both days as well. But did I eat carbs? You bet your mashed potatoes and stuffing I did! Not to mention apple pie and pumpkin pie. And did I pay a price for eating those carbs? Of course I did. Four pounds worth. Did I panic, gnash my teeth and throw in the towel on my whole diet and exercise program as I would have in the past? Absolutely not! I was out walking immediately and other than a couple of more slices of pie over the next few days, the only leftovers I indulged in were turkey, turkey and more turkey and some green bean casserole. No more mashed potatoes of stuffing for me. I quickly lost that four pounds, which was likely more water weight gain than anything. It's a good feeling to know that I can overcome my occasional dietary indiscretions without giving up or beating myself up over them. I more or less planned for the holiday and knew that there would be some temporary weight gain, but I also had complete confidence that it would remain just that - temporary.

The same game plan is in place for Christmas, although for some reason that is a tougher one, what with all kinds of cookie baking happening and my penchant for making and consuming mass quantities of homemade Chex Mix that I will simply HAVE to rein in. And there will, again, be multiple celebrations, so the one plate rule WILL apply each time. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it......

No comments:

Post a Comment